In the second part of the interview, Jimmy discuss about customizing and his preference and approaches to his craft. Listen up!... Jimmy also have some very intriguing tips on inspirations and ideas.
PART TWO - CUSTOMIZING
11) What are the challenges you normally faced as a customizer? Paint work, decaling, packaging, tyres, etc?
Almost everything from paint, decaling and packaging.
12) What sort of processes do you take to build your designs/craft?
I would normally start from sketching thumbnail drawings and continue with more till I am satisfied.
BOXMAN's presentation for the Summer Smash 2010
13) Where do you get your inspirations/ideas from?
I get lots of inspirations from things I see at the stores, shows, magazines, packaging and even to stuff like cereal boxes but most of all I want to thank the LORD for my talent..
14) Do you have a customizer buddy?
Yes I do… he is Vince Mosley aka V-man.
The veteran all-time award wining customizer Vince Mosley aka V-Man
15) How did you become a packaging guru as you are known in the Hot Wheels world? Who gave you the name “BOXMAN”?
I started by trying very hard to produce good customs for collectors and hope they would feel proud to display them on their shelf. A lot of my invention were driven by fancy packaging and Vince started calling me the "BOXMAN", right now he calls me "BOXER".
16) How Many Customs have you made till today?
My guess would be within the range of 85 different designs and above. Some of my good piece never made it to public.
A custom made for Shirley Wood, the wife of Larry Wood.
17) Your proudest BOXMAN work? Can you name 3 of it?
It would be the diaroma of THE CARS poster, The 18-Car Display for Mr.Elliot Handler and the Dubble Bubble series.
18) What are your views on foreign customizers from Mexico, Brazil, Japan, Canada, Europe, and Asia..?
They are all talented groups , with thier own unique style
Kazy from Kazy Kustom Japan
Chojiro from Hells Dept. Japan
19) Any tips for the upcoming and newbies in customizing?
Keep practicing and practicing… firstly, go online and source for all the tips you could get hold of and use it to your fullest advantage.
The very popular Energizer VW Drag Bus
A COLLECTION OF BOXMAN'S PAST WORK
Batman VW Drag bus
Las Vegas Super Conventions 2009 '55 Chevy Panel
Superman Dairy Delivery
Domino's Pizza Dairy Delivery
PS2 Guitar Hero
Summer Smash 2010 Custom Convoy
Las Vegas VW Drag Bus
Protoytype VW Drag Bus
Interview was conducted by Ronald Wong aka Darthvaderr
PART ONE - BACKGROUNDhttp://darthvaderr.blogspot.com/2012/02/exclusive-interview-jimmy-boxman-chavez.html